"There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God." --Psalm 46:4

My Photo
Serving God with His people at Faith OPC has been a great joy and blessing. When I grow up, I want to umpire Little League Baseball. I will revel on that day when I can say to a 10-year-old boy after four pitched balls, "Take a walk in the sunshine." My wife of 30+ years, Peggy, consistently demonstrates the love of Christ and remains my very best friend. Our six children, our four lovely, sweetie-pie daughters-in-law, and our four grandchildren serve as resident theologians.

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Hard to Leave, Part 3


3. Pietism doesn’t sound too bad, what’s the issue?

With the stress on heart-warmth, one’s experience can easily become the standard for knowing God’s presence, truth and will. When Christianity starts to overemphasize the concerns of an individual soul and inner attitudes, frequently we next underemphasize doctrine, and promote subjectivism and even mysticism. In truth, it’s not that doctrine is neglected in pietism but doctrine becomes based on very personal and subjective standards.

Several times over the years, I have heard people speak of the hymn, He Lives! The chorus of the hymn continually puts forth this question, “You ask me how I know He lives?” and then it answers: “He lives within my heart.” Do we find the standard of heart-proof as the standard for proving doctrine in the Bible? The believer’s subjective experience of salvation is a very important feature of the Bible, but it is not used as a proof that Jesus rose from the dead. The New Testament apostles always pointed people to the historical realities about Christ’s bodily resurrection—the tomb is empty; they recorded the times of seeing His resurrected body, watching Him eat and touching His sides.

4. How does this relate to contemporary worship music?

In the practice of worship singing, Scripture itself must determine and give shape to our experience in the presence of God. Just to put forward one example, when I would sing words like this contemporary worship song from the Vineyard songbook, “I can almost see Your holiness as I look around this place,” a song reminiscent of the vision of the prophet in Isaiah 6, it would lead me to experience a sense of privilege and thankfulness. The song has the chorus, “Spirit of God lift me up, Spirit of God lift me up, fill me again with Your love.” But what does Scripture say Isaiah’s experience was? When Isaiah saw the Lord in His holiness, he did not see himself as being in a moment of privilege and in a time of thanksgiving concerning God’s awesome presence, but he said, “Woe is me, for I am undone! Because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King…” (Isaiah 6:5). Scripture is our training manual for our experience. Emotions of joy and emotions of terror, both, are fitting according to the specific subject matter of the Bible. Bible teaching expressed in faithful words and tunes of music guides us on this.

I am grateful to Michael Horton for his Appendix B in the book, In the Face of God. There are helpful insights in this volume of his.

G. Mark Sumpter

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark,
Sorry to be so bothersome :-) but as I happened to read your blog this morning before heading off to my part-time job at Staples, your words hit the ball perfectly. What you say is especially where I have been (took years of God's grace and words and patience to get me there - another story). Anyway, I just shared with my home group last week about needing to know the "OBJECTIVE" truths about God - His work, holiness, justification, predestination, etc. - all apart from ourselves. I told them with the passion that I had that being rooted and grounded in this saves us from "floating around" in ourselves, getting hung up on the ups and downs of feelings, etc. Now, feelings are created by God (we are not stoics), but I compare feeling to the 'flavor' of food. The flavor is good and makes food tasty and enjoyable. However, the substance belongs to the food and the nutrition that it provides. The nutrition is the important part. The flavor is the blessing. Now, I could survive and stay alive merely by nutrition, but *not* by flavor. Substance is the call of the day. Same with the Word. The objective truth of God calling us, putting us in Christ, justifying us, predestination, this is the substance...in time and place, we also feel the emotional joy and exulation (often it going beyond our understanding, as the Scroll says).

Anyway, don't mean to inundate you with my thoughts, but you really struck a chord with me, as far as where I have been, etc.

Peace out -
Matt

Mark Sumpter said...

Matt and others, When I ask this question about pietism not sounding too bad, I answer in the opening line: With the stress on heart-warmth, one’s experience can easily become the standard for knowing God’s presence, truth and will. I think I need to round that out, with correction, by saying: one's experience can easily become the standard for knowing God's presence, truth and will, this is true, but it needs to be checked against the objectivity of Bible truth. Experience can be a standard, but it must be founded on and guided by the Word. We see people in Scripture convicted, doubting, and in merriment, etc., so experience is super important in it's place, but it needs the proper frame of the ministry and application of the Word. Thanks Matt for your take.

Mark

One Potato, Two Potato