"There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God." --Psalm 46:4

My Photo
Serving God with His people at Faith OPC has been a great joy and blessing. When I grow up, I want to umpire Little League Baseball. I will revel on that day when I can say to a 10-year-old boy after four pitched balls, "Take a walk in the sunshine." My wife of 30+ years, Peggy, consistently demonstrates the love of Christ and remains my very best friend. Our six children, our four lovely, sweetie-pie daughters-in-law, and our four grandchildren serve as resident theologians.

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Resurrection Life and Fellowship with Christ's Sufferings


Resurrection life in Christ includes sufferings

10 that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, 11 if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.


In Philippians 3:10-11 here above, there’s an inclusio.


That I may know Him and the power of His resurrection


And the fellowship of His sufferings,
being conformed to His death

If, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection
from the dead

Paul addresses the life of the believer raised in Christ; it’s the abundant life of the living hope (cf. 1 Peter 1:2-3).

Verse 10 speaks to the power of His resurrection, that is, to know Him in saving union with Christ as the risen One. It’s new power (cf. Ephesians 1:19-20).


But does the believer’s life in the risen Christ mean no discipline aimed at conformity to Christ?


Paul goes on with verse 10b: [and to know Christ] in the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death.


Therefore, according to Paul, the church in her position of being raised in Christ includes the life of God-shaping discipline.


Resurrection life includes the fellowship of His sufferings, which in turn, leads to the life of glory—attaining to the resurrection from the dead.


G. Mark Sumpter

No comments:

One Potato, Two Potato