"There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God." --Psalm 46:4

My Photo
Serving God with His people at Faith OPC has been a great joy and blessing. When I grow up, I want to umpire Little League Baseball. I will revel on that day when I can say to a 10-year-old boy after four pitched balls, "Take a walk in the sunshine." My wife of 30+ years, Peggy, consistently demonstrates the love of Christ and remains my very best friend. Our six children, our four lovely, sweetie-pie daughters-in-law, and our four grandchildren serve as resident theologians.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Smackdown Move On the Classical World

He says, “Come, follow Me.”


“In that classical world, there is hardly a chance that the fool will speak wisdom. ‘Greeks seek wisdom, and the Jews seek signs,’ says Paul with rare defiance, ‘but I preach Christ crucified, a stumbling stone to the Jews and folly to the Greeks!’ But the folly of God is wiser than men. Wiser even than Greeks. It slaps the staid old classical world silly. There, a man who loses his reputation loses everything. But Christ made himself of no repute, and took the form of a slave, obedient unto death; and he made all things new.”


Professor Anthony Esolen of Providence College, Providence, RI. Quote from Humor on the Move, an article in TOUCHSTONE, May/June, 2010.


G. Mark Sumpter

No comments:

One Potato, Two Potato