"There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God." --Psalm 46:4

My Photo
Serving God with His people at Faith OPC has been a great joy and blessing. When I grow up, I want to umpire Little League Baseball. I will revel on that day when I can say to a 10-year-old boy after four pitched balls, "Take a walk in the sunshine." My wife of 30+ years, Peggy, consistently demonstrates the love of Christ and remains my very best friend. Our six children, our four lovely, sweetie-pie daughters-in-law, and our four grandchildren serve as resident theologians.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Doctrine of Adoption

What used to be a lonesome doctrine in the field of applied salvation

“If you want to know how well a person understands Christianity, find out how much he makes of the thought of being God's child, and having God as his Father. If this is not the thought that prompts and controls his worship and prayers and his whole outlook on life, it means that he does not understand Christianity very well at all.”


J. I. Packer, Knowing God

I am working on prayers for our congregational worship on the theme of adoption; on the subject of our standing, privileges and responsibilities in the bosom and heart of our God.

Back in the 1970s and 80s, you might have found two books on the topic of adoption, sonship and so on. But today: Peterson, Ferguson, Hoekema, Needham and the various writings of Jack Miller and his son, Paul. We're loaded for bear in our day.

I want to pull out two or three quotes from John Murray too. He surprises us. Stay tuned.

Westminster Shorter Catechism
Q34: What is adoption?

A34: Adoption is an act of God's free grace, whereby we are received into the number, and have a right to all the privileges of the Sons of God.

G. Mark Sumpter



No comments:

One Potato, Two Potato