"There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God." --Psalm 46:4

My Photo
Serving God with His people at Faith OPC has been a great joy and blessing. When I grow up, I want to umpire Little League Baseball. I will revel on that day when I can say to a 10-year-old boy after four pitched balls, "Take a walk in the sunshine." My wife of 30+ years, Peggy, consistently demonstrates the love of Christ and remains my very best friend. Our six children, our four lovely, sweetie-pie daughters-in-law, and our four grandchildren serve as resident theologians.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I'll Never Fall in Love Again?


We must recover the Protestant confidence in the comprehensibility of this world. Rather than pursuing superstitious worldviews that focus on cosmic battles between demons and angels, we should regain our love affair with the material world of God's creation--not in the sense of replacing our hope for heaven with a satisfaction with earth, but in the realization that the entire focus of Christianity and its biblical text is the unfolding of God's purposes right here in this world, in real human history.

From Michael Horton's chapter,
Christianity and Modern Science: Can't We Be Friends?, found in Where in the World is the Church, p. 135

G. Mark Sumpter

No comments:

One Potato, Two Potato