"There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God." --Psalm 46:4

My Photo
Serving God with His people at Faith OPC has been a great joy and blessing. When I grow up, I want to umpire Little League Baseball. I will revel on that day when I can say to a 10-year-old boy after four pitched balls, "Take a walk in the sunshine." My wife of 30+ years, Peggy, consistently demonstrates the love of Christ and remains my very best friend. Our six children, our four lovely, sweetie-pie daughters-in-law, and our four grandchildren serve as resident theologians.

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Sermon Prep 24/7


The preaching mentor and author, Zack Eswine of Covenant Seminary, reminds pastors that everyday life sunrise to sunset, most often thought as the mundane of life, finds plenty of sermon fodder. Of late, my best sermon application points come from a Nazarene pastor friend. It's simple and timely conversation, and I am so grateful for his attentive countenance and perspectives. Recently, he spoke of his own life and the place of faithful leadership among God's people. He was spot on.

Eswine writes: Listening to life and gathering sound bites and snapshots of people and places deepens our wisdom. This is our calling. Biblical preaching makes a missional turn when preachers see nothing as more essential than their personal walk with God and
see all of life as their sermon preparation.

I've mentioned to several that my work at the hospital slows me down. Quite literally, you walk slower around the halls, and into the rooms; and the conversation goes to a creep-crawl. The patients on whom I call are God's agents of change for my life. I turn my ears on. They preach texts and application at me every time.

Sermons Via Surgery. Hip and Thigh Hope. The Body Chemistry of Faith. Patients in the Pulpit.

Preparing for sermons happens all the time.

G. Mark Sumpter


1 comment:

Betsy said...

Mark,

I really enjoy your writing. I think that you have made such a great point in this post. How many times do we blindly go through our days wondering what it's all about? I have no idea why I have experienced the things that I have in my life, then I am talking with someone who is struggling in their walk and I am able to relate to them.
I would like to invite you to contribute to the resource library that the ministry I am working with is getting set up on our website (http://www.calledtoyouthministry.com/node/add/resource).
Our hope is that we are able to build a library of articles to support and connect youth ministers. Your insight and experience in youth ministry would significantly contribute to our database and our hope of strengthening youth ministers.

If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.
God bless & keep writing!
Betsy

betsy@calledtoyouthminsitry.com

One Potato, Two Potato