"There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God." --Psalm 46:4

My Photo
Serving God with His people at Faith OPC has been a great joy and blessing. When I grow up, I want to umpire Little League Baseball. I will revel on that day when I can say to a 10-year-old boy after four pitched balls, "Take a walk in the sunshine." My wife of 30+ years, Peggy, consistently demonstrates the love of Christ and remains my very best friend. Our six children, our four lovely, sweetie-pie daughters-in-law, and our four grandchildren serve as resident theologians.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Learning about Calling and the Ministry


John Nevin, 1803-1886, an old Pennsylvanian Minister—His Words on Calling


“All are bound to serve one another in the church but a peculiar order has been set apart for the regular and public work of the ministry. We must not, however, look upon it, as holding an abstract position to the church, but as flowing out of the church. Notwithstanding, it is of divine appointment, and no one, not of this order, has a right to direct and teach the church, in a public way. No one is at liberty to take the office for himself. God only can call.”


From Lecture Two: Call to the Ministry in The Reformed Pastor (lectures on pastoral theology by John Williamson Nevin).


Since 1977-78 I have been relying on the church for her discipleship in my life, and it’s been the discipleship of opening up to me the peculiar order to be set apart for the regular and public work of the ministry. It’s just as Nevin refers to it above. This is something that has been flowing out of the church.


Learning about the peculiar order of the call and office of the ministry has been a long road for me. I am not a divine moment-guy who can look back on a specific moment with internal fireworks, with an internal divine summons that led to pacing the floor at 3 a.m. with a blend of hand-wringing and awe about the call into the ministry. Not at all.


Service, generally, was the aim my parents instilled in me. I was baptized in my eighth year; of the tribe of the sumpterians [Sumpter: pack horse, any animal for carrying baggage], concerning law, dutiful to duties; concerning zeal, first-hand experience with the approval of sweet sweat.


In what way did my folks train me? Honor authority, give cheerful duty to others. Take out the trash, shovel snow, weed the flower beds, rake leaves, split wood, clean out the garage, and feed the animals, “boy…help your momma…and no backtalk.” Be sure and do it again, and this time with a broom and dust pan. Sounds harsh, but the aim was to teach responsibility.


As a pack horse, I have carried that mentality into the local church: I wanted to serve generally, in more of the abstract way [Nevin]. OK. So far, pretty good.


But Nevin talks about a peculiar order of the call into service. That has been the discipleship imparted to me. Back in 1987, I didn’t want to pursue the office of ruling elder. Then two-three years later, I didn’t want to pursue the office of minister. The reason? General service in the church was thought to be the beginning and ending of the call. I was content with the meaning and application of Nevin’s words: All are bound to serve one another. That clicked for me. Nevin requires something more—this peculiar order.


What is it that has given attention to the peculiar order of a ministerial calling? Patient pastors who have sprinkled my pathway. They have worked with me, guiding and modeling the way of the peculiar order of the set-apart call into office of the eldership.


In what way have they been patient? They have spoken up about the church and her doctrine in presbytery meetings. I have been there to watch and listen. They have spoken up about the improper administration of the sacraments—again, I am there watching and listening. They have showed a consistent concern about a learned, faithful ministry. They have worked with me on matters of order, structure and procedure. Maybe in short I would say God has been providing a 25+ year-apprenticeship for me. They have been showing me the church’s work; maybe it’s like the school of the prophets, an order of tradesmen, something like that. Men have showed me a view of the church with her vision for office, order, ministry, discipline and attention to the Word and her sacraments. Nevin says this too: Our view of this call will depend in some measure upon our view of the church. If we restrict the church, we will of course, limit the call. The call is regular when it proceeds from the proper authorities in the church.


Calling has come to be cemented for me over time, through the church and her work. I’ve learned that God bears me along via the teaching, modeling and discipleship of ordained men. They’ve shown me the trade of the pastorate. That has created more and more hunger to serve in this public, ordained office.


Maybe it’s being in a denomination like the OPC that has presbytery meetings and the like that provide learning and confirmation about calling. Calling into the regular and public office of ministry is rooted in the work of the church.


G. Mark Sumpter

No comments:

One Potato, Two Potato