"There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God." --Psalm 46:4

My Photo
Serving God with His people at Faith OPC has been a great joy and blessing. When I grow up, I want to umpire Little League Baseball. I will revel on that day when I can say to a 10-year-old boy after four pitched balls, "Take a walk in the sunshine." My wife of 30+ years, Peggy, consistently demonstrates the love of Christ and remains my very best friend. Our six children, our four lovely, sweetie-pie daughters-in-law, and our four grandchildren serve as resident theologians.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Ministerial Garb

Excuse me--are you the pastor here? 

I sometimes visit this blog HERE, and today, on the matter of a preacher and his uniform, I left this comment:


I walked into one our Sunday school classrooms four or five days ago here at Faith OPC, and noticed that our preschool children have been learning about public worship. I scanned the typical visuals posted around the walls---there was one with the pastor standing behind the communion table administering the sacrament. He has on the Genevan robe, the academic-type gown. I thought, “There we go again. Kids, their learning and our ways of teaching them often just cut to the chase. Our kids are all the time beating us to the punch.” A few days later I thought, “At 9:45 AM, these kids in class get the minister, at 11:00, they get the businessman.” The poster of the minister at the Table is produced by Great Commission Publications, the publishing house for our Sunday school material, for the PCA and the OPC. I’m waiting for the day, when after worship, one of our preschoolers shows me his or her weekly bulletin art work, and I stoop down low to be near the child and to look at the drawing, and there’s a rendering of me in the pulpit, and that same little church member and resident theologian says, “Pastor Mark, ministers, I thought, wear these robe thingies, where’s yours?”

G. Mark Sumpter

No comments:

One Potato, Two Potato