"There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God." --Psalm 46:4

My Photo
Serving God with His people at Faith OPC has been a great joy and blessing. When I grow up, I want to umpire Little League Baseball. I will revel on that day when I can say to a 10-year-old boy after four pitched balls, "Take a walk in the sunshine." My wife of 30+ years, Peggy, consistently demonstrates the love of Christ and remains my very best friend. Our six children, our four lovely, sweetie-pie daughters-in-law, and our four grandchildren serve as resident theologians.

Monday, December 14, 2009

Gentle, Mixed Up Mary


Note on Luke 1:26-38 Gabriel with Mary

The practice of saving faith does not hinge on my up-bringing (I was taught the truths of God well in my home, I have well-worn thoughts on how to handle trouble and sin), or my attitudinal disposition (that is, I am given toward sensitivity to spiritual issues; I’m good at catching myself when I sin), nor, last, my habitual practice of keeping up with the spiritual disciplines (good…I’ve had my daily reading time, I feel like I can walk with the King). No. These are giving focus to one’s personal history, inclinations and practices. Do these leave room for God? No. Our trust leans on God alone, His works and His ways. God has accomplished His work for me in Jesus.


One practical thing on this: God kicks out from underneath you all the self-trust stilts of your walk, and He kicks out from underneath you righteous ladder climbing. Refuse to aim for a right, faithful diagnosis of your problems, doubts and sinful habits. Also, refuse to find salvation in your right understanding of how sanctification works. How change will come about…how you can rightly recognize the ups and downs of faithfulness and failure, and how if you only knew the timing of when sound, lasting godly change will finally arrive for you. Knowing and seeing these things are not saviors.


You see, a focus on your own abilities is that just, a focus on you. Redemption has been provided in Jesus Christ. The Father has glorified His Son; the work has been done.


For Mary, she had doubts, insecurities, and fears. It’s called unbelief. She did not understand the ways of God. She did not understand God’s choice to use the anticipated shame before the eyes of the Galilean public—with her coming out-of-wedlock-pregnancy. She did not see connections of God’s ways and God’s accomplishments. But the story ends, vs. 38, “Let it be to me according to your word.”


Submission calls for the demonstration of confidence in, and coming underneath, the sovereign power of the Lord God when all evidence is contrary to our understanding and expectations. He will work His work. He is faithful to His own Word and ways. Remember JC Ryle’s quote? “Faith never rests so calmly and peacefully as when it lays its head on the pillow of God’s omnipotence.”


G. Mark Sumpter


No comments:

One Potato, Two Potato