"There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God." --Psalm 46:4

My Photo
Serving God with His people at Faith OPC has been a great joy and blessing. When I grow up, I want to umpire Little League Baseball. I will revel on that day when I can say to a 10-year-old boy after four pitched balls, "Take a walk in the sunshine." My wife of 30+ years, Peggy, consistently demonstrates the love of Christ and remains my very best friend. Our six children, our four lovely, sweetie-pie daughters-in-law, and our four grandchildren serve as resident theologians.

Saturday, December 26, 2009

One Year Ago


Fifty-Something PhD-Like Work Was a 4-Week Hebrew Intensive and Field Studies in Israel With My 17 Year Old Son


Last year at this time, Jeremy and I ventured from Grants Pass to Tel Aviv to launch 5 weeks in Israel. The two of us took part in a 4-week intensive in Biblical Hebrew and also went to some 25-30 sites around the land.


Three highlights from this Study Leave for me:


1. I was completely taken by surprise regarding the burden and desire to see reformed and evangelical churches planted in Israel. He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him. Oh Lord, send forth Your Word and bring the strangers home!


2. The Hebrew intensive offered a challenging refresher in the Book of Jonah. Above, you see one of our instructors, Aaron, in our classroom. Fun, fun fun! What a challenge, the hard work, doing the conversational thing and the TPR--Total Physical Response. The Biblical Language Center teachers at Kibbutz Tzuba were top-notch. Jeremy and I still make use of their methods and lessons.


3. The variety of landforms, the old villages and cities, and the connected benchmarks of history were overwhleming. Tops were Qumran Community at the Dead Sea, the amazing structures and memorials of Herod of Great--his fingerprints are all over the land--and the Galilee, in particular, Tel Dan.


God is so very good, who allowed us to take this trip. Amen and Amen.


G. Mark Sumpter

No comments:

One Potato, Two Potato