"There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God." --Psalm 46:4

My Photo
Serving God with His people at Faith OPC has been a great joy and blessing. When I grow up, I want to umpire Little League Baseball. I will revel on that day when I can say to a 10-year-old boy after four pitched balls, "Take a walk in the sunshine." My wife of 30+ years, Peggy, consistently demonstrates the love of Christ and remains my very best friend. Our six children, our four lovely, sweetie-pie daughters-in-law, and our four grandchildren serve as resident theologians.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

A Must Read in 2010

I have greatly profited from Bryan Chapell's book the past 6-7 years

“The early church robed adult believers in white after their baptisms. The garments did not indicate believers would never again sin. They signified the holiness of God provides despite our impurities. The robes covered an imperfect person. The implications remain vital for us today. We do not have to despair of ever attaining the perfection that would warrant God's acceptance. By recognizing the richness of his provision, we have the resources necessary to move forward in his service. We need never say, I can't do anything right. I always mess up. I have tried time and time again to live right and I always fail. If I try anything I will only look bad and get God mad, so why try? Some Christians are so afraid of stepping out of line that they never get in step with God. Fear of the loss of what little holiness they think they may have managed to scratch out in life has led to paralysis.”

Pick up the book, Holiness By Grace, and sit with Chapell at his table and dig in. This is from p. 202.

G. Mark Sumpter

No comments:

One Potato, Two Potato