"There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God." --Psalm 46:4

My Photo
Serving God with His people at Faith OPC has been a great joy and blessing. When I grow up, I want to umpire Little League Baseball. I will revel on that day when I can say to a 10-year-old boy after four pitched balls, "Take a walk in the sunshine." My wife of 30+ years, Peggy, consistently demonstrates the love of Christ and remains my very best friend. Our six children, our four lovely, sweetie-pie daughters-in-law, and our four grandchildren serve as resident theologians.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Worship, Trust, Covenant Life


Deliberate Order in Hebrews 2:12-13?



He is not ashamed to call them brethren,


12 saying: “ I will declare Your name to My brethren; In the midst of the assembly I will sing praise to You.”


13 And again: “I will put My trust in Him.”


And again: “Here am I and the children whom God has given Me.”


14 Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, 15 and release those who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. 16 For indeed He does not give aid to angels, but He does give aid to the seed of Abraham.


Does the writer offer a focused pattern of his instruction in this text? It seems so. He moves from our Lord's presence with His people in worship, vs. 12; then to a general affirmation of Christ's trust, vs. 13a, and then back to worship, His being close in identifying with His people, vs. 13b.


There's the centrality of worship, first; take note, Jesus is singing with His people, and then the outflow of faith and faith's life with others--He's not ashamed of worship and life with His children.


The passage shows the pace-setting grid of worship; Jesus Himself took on this pattern. He gave focus on His Father, and then focus on His brethren.


It is worship that provides influential life-training and discipleship.


G. Mark Sumpter


No comments:

One Potato, Two Potato