"There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God." --Psalm 46:4

My Photo
Serving God with His people at Faith OPC has been a great joy and blessing. When I grow up, I want to umpire Little League Baseball. I will revel on that day when I can say to a 10-year-old boy after four pitched balls, "Take a walk in the sunshine." My wife of 30+ years, Peggy, consistently demonstrates the love of Christ and remains my very best friend. Our six children, our four lovely, sweetie-pie daughters-in-law, and our four grandchildren serve as resident theologians.

Saturday, May 8, 2010

1 + 1 + 1 = 3


James Bannerman, the old Scottish pastor, on body life

According to the arrangement of God, the Christian is more of a Christian in society than alone, and more in the enjoyment of privileges of a spiritual kind when he shares them with others, than when he possesses them apart...The Christian Church was established in the world, to realize the superior advantages of a social over an individual Christianity; and to set up and maintain the communion of the saints.

J. Bannerman, from the early 1800s, in his 2 vol. set, The Church of Christ, Vol. 1: pages 91-92.

God has made me ready to read something like this, and embrace it. He
s worked on me in this respect for the past 10 years or more. Dont take me wrong. I have always been a man devoted to the church, but not one dependent on her. Ive not been one to see that I can only rightly, with great, great enjoyment possess Christ and His benefits in the context of the utter necessity of being dependent on others.

Bannerman says,
“superior advantages; there are higher, deeper things as the church breathes and lives together, as the called-out, gathered people.

O God, give me more repentance from my individualistic superiority.

G. Mark Sumpter

No comments:

One Potato, Two Potato