"There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God." --Psalm 46:4

My Photo
Serving God with His people at Faith OPC has been a great joy and blessing. When I grow up, I want to umpire Little League Baseball. I will revel on that day when I can say to a 10-year-old boy after four pitched balls, "Take a walk in the sunshine." My wife of 30+ years, Peggy, consistently demonstrates the love of Christ and remains my very best friend. Our six children, our four lovely, sweetie-pie daughters-in-law, and our four grandchildren serve as resident theologians.

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Getting Up Off Our Bach Side


The story is told of Johann Sebastian Bach and his own reflections about diligence. He was asked about his growth in skill, his proficiency and expertise as a musician.

Occasionally he was asked what measures he had undertaken to reach so high a degree of skill in his art. He usually replied: "I have had to be diligent. If anyone will be equally diligent, he will be able to accomplish just as much." He did not make much of, even as he did not depend on, his superior native endowments.


From the book, Johann Sebastian Bach: The Master and His Work

Dick Kaufmann, my pastor and professor in Escondido, often exhorted us to turn away from laziness and sloppy work. If you don't want to work, don't go into the pastorate. Exacting diligence is required. I often found Dick having 3 X 5 cards upright and visible, attached to his car dashboard; he was rehearsing, meditating on, and re-working texts and thoughts of sermon notes. It was like looking at a GPS. Diligence to the 10th power.

G. Mark Sumpter

No comments:

One Potato, Two Potato