"There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God." --Psalm 46:4

My Photo
Serving God with His people at Faith OPC has been a great joy and blessing. When I grow up, I want to umpire Little League Baseball. I will revel on that day when I can say to a 10-year-old boy after four pitched balls, "Take a walk in the sunshine." My wife of 30+ years, Peggy, consistently demonstrates the love of Christ and remains my very best friend. Our six children, our four lovely, sweetie-pie daughters-in-law, and our four grandchildren serve as resident theologians.

Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Reading of God's Word



This past week, I spent nearly 18 hours at a seminar on the basics of Christian growth. It's the first seminar I've been to where nearly half of it was the public reading of God's Word, the Bible. Genesis 1:1-Revelation 22:21, paragraph after paragraph, verse after verse, nothing but reading. The instructor introduced the topic, then called on the readers. We read the same English version. Moments were allowed for finding texts, and then there would be the reading. A moment or two was allowed for focus and thought.

The reading of the texts of the Bible was stunning. It was so very instructive and edifying.

Paul told Timothy: Till I come, give attention to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine. 1 Tim. 4:13.

G. Mark Sumpter

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mark, I have to comment on this. I bet this practice was amazing! After all the sermons we listen to, all the theology books we read, all the logic and exegesis we employ and use...nothing - NOTHING is like hearing the Scriptures read, especially publicly. It is almost as if God allows every theologian and teacher to speak, and then says..."Okay, now it is My turn."

Would love to hear more of your thoughts on this experience some time.

Matt

One Potato, Two Potato