"There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God." --Psalm 46:4

My Photo
Serving God with His people at Faith OPC has been a great joy and blessing. When I grow up, I want to umpire Little League Baseball. I will revel on that day when I can say to a 10-year-old boy after four pitched balls, "Take a walk in the sunshine." My wife of 30+ years, Peggy, consistently demonstrates the love of Christ and remains my very best friend. Our six children, our four lovely, sweetie-pie daughters-in-law, and our four grandchildren serve as resident theologians.

Saturday, October 10, 2009

And Then She Said, YES!


Eldership Guidance on Marriage Eligibility

On the matter of determining eligibility, an Eldership should suggest that parents or the oversight authority use a pattern similar to how a local church determines if a pastoral-candidate is a right fit for serving a local church.
Just as a local church chooses a pastor of like-minded beliefs, so there should be like-mindedness between candidates for marriage. Matters like theological background and practical direction in life should be shared. In the OPC, we call pastors to serve local churches who hold to the same system of doctrine as the local church. Like-mindedness in faith and life is crucial, see Phil. 1:27; 2:2-3; and Eph. 4:3, etc.

G. Mark Sumpter

No comments:

One Potato, Two Potato