"There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God." --Psalm 46:4

My Photo
Serving God with His people at Faith OPC has been a great joy and blessing. When I grow up, I want to umpire Little League Baseball. I will revel on that day when I can say to a 10-year-old boy after four pitched balls, "Take a walk in the sunshine." My wife of 30+ years, Peggy, consistently demonstrates the love of Christ and remains my very best friend. Our six children, our four lovely, sweetie-pie daughters-in-law, and our four grandchildren serve as resident theologians.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Bulimia Matters. 15

Grace Right Alongside of Law--Amen!


From J.G. Machen:


When I come thus to Jesus as a sinner, confessing that I have not obeyed His commands, confessing that I have nothing to offer to Him, but am utterly unworthy and utterly helpless, has He anything to say to me? Does He say merely: You have heard my high commands; that is all that I have to say; that is all the gospel that I have to give you; that is all the doctrine you can have.

No, thank God, that is not all the He has to give me--that cold comfort of a command that I have not kept and cannot keep. He gives me something more than that. He gives Himself. He offers Himself to me in the Bible as my Savior who died for me on the Cross and who now lives as the one whom I can trust. He offers Himself to me in great doctrines of His person and work. If He were some other, He could not save me and I could not trust Him to save me. But because He is very God, He could save me and did save me and I have been united to Him by the Holy Spirit through faith.

Do you not see, my friends? That is the reason why the Christian clings to the doctrine of the deity of Christ.

Meat and potatoes from the New Testament Professor’s, The Christian View of Man, pp. 22-23, from the Banner of Truth, the British edition, 1965.



G. Mark Sumpter

No comments:

One Potato, Two Potato