"There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God." --Psalm 46:4

My Photo
Serving God with His people at Faith OPC has been a great joy and blessing. When I grow up, I want to umpire Little League Baseball. I will revel on that day when I can say to a 10-year-old boy after four pitched balls, "Take a walk in the sunshine." My wife of 30+ years, Peggy, consistently demonstrates the love of Christ and remains my very best friend. Our six children, our four lovely, sweetie-pie daughters-in-law, and our four grandchildren serve as resident theologians.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Clutch Preaching


Application of Texts and Today's Preachers

We might call it clutch preaching. It's when men in the pulpit are driving home textual application to the congregation in today's church and world situations. We're talking about men coming through from the pulpit in the clutch. He's able to deliver today's mail.

From where I stand, such preaching comes up rarely. According to my own background in training and from the days of being under several men in their own pulpit work, it was the exception not the expected.

Here are some examples:


What does the Bible Say about Societal and Social Enemies?

Exploring the Lines of Morality and Practice for the Entertainment World

What's the Fuss Over Phonics and Outcome Based Education?

Tracing Out the Practical Implications of Taxation

Does the Bible Require Christians to Vote?

Marketing Humor and Advertising Hype--What Does the Bible Teach Us?

The Sound Theology and Practice of Martyrdom

Certainly, there can be several other textually-based application areas noted. The chief concern I am pointing out, with an eye on my own pulpit work, is the absence of the breadth of application.

I find myself giving consistent focus to the staple three: health, relationships and finances. I need to realize that even if I am not as well-read in a greater range of topics, I can still explore, when appropriate, the greater range. Yes, I need to be reading more widely; I also need to be anticipating opportunities in texts to explore application points more widely. It doesn't necessarily mean a full sermon on the application subject matter. It does mean being at the ready to make application in areas beyond my staple subjects.

Is breadth for application, diversity of thought and life, on my radar screen when I am preparing the sermon?

G. Mark Sumpter



No comments:

One Potato, Two Potato