"There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God." --Psalm 46:4

My Photo
Serving God with His people at Faith OPC has been a great joy and blessing. When I grow up, I want to umpire Little League Baseball. I will revel on that day when I can say to a 10-year-old boy after four pitched balls, "Take a walk in the sunshine." My wife of 30+ years, Peggy, consistently demonstrates the love of Christ and remains my very best friend. Our six children, our four lovely, sweetie-pie daughters-in-law, and our four grandchildren serve as resident theologians.

Monday, January 11, 2010

A Jewel of a Servant


Elder Dick Hake of Covenant Church, Burtonsville, MD Well-Remembered


Dick first greeted me at a meeting of the session in May of 1994, there in Burtonsville, MD at Covenant OPC, and asked me about evangelism, it was something like this--"Mark, what would you do to help the church keep it's edge about presenting Jesus Christ to this lost world?" He was taking part in the interview process when I was being considered for the position of Associate Pastor.

He pressed the senior pastor and I a little more at a subsequent meeting, "Are you men seeking to keep evangelism in the fore-front of all that the church is doing?"

Dick was a pastor-shepherd and evangelist wrapped in grace and truth.

My father and brother, Dick Hake, rests in the glory of our Living Savior's presence today! Last evening he departed to be with Christ.

I will always treasure his very candid, yet manifestly humble way of speaking of the Lord Jesus and His claims. He indeed was a witness of the glorious work of Christ in a very contagious and faithful way. It mattered not of the life-station of people--the homeless, single mothers, those of varied tongue, tribe or clan, he practiced the mandate of Jesus: love your neighbor.

What a servant, what an example. I am grateful for the opportunity to have been around him for a good 4-5 years. He served as elder at Covenant Church for about 20 years.


G. Mark Sumpter

No comments:

One Potato, Two Potato