"There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God." --Psalm 46:4

My Photo
Serving God with His people at Faith OPC has been a great joy and blessing. When I grow up, I want to umpire Little League Baseball. I will revel on that day when I can say to a 10-year-old boy after four pitched balls, "Take a walk in the sunshine." My wife of 30+ years, Peggy, consistently demonstrates the love of Christ and remains my very best friend. Our six children, our four lovely, sweetie-pie daughters-in-law, and our four grandchildren serve as resident theologians.

Sunday, January 10, 2010

On Self Denial


Putting Comfort in the Gunny Sack, Getting Rid of Self

Rodney Stark, HT from Bill Hull, in a book called, The Rise of Christianity, says in part:

It is my observation that our consumerism hyper-active impatient church has hijacked the idea of spiritual formation We have a habit of co-opting virtually anything to try and reach our real goals, bigger churches, a growing business, or to maintain control of our dreams and goals. When we walk into the door of a church it seems as though we are in a negotiation mode, “God, how much of my life can I still control but still reap all the benefits of submission?” This has been done with evangelism, prayer, service to the community, and now with developing a stalwart inner person who will be showered with noticeable blessing from God. Is there a way to address the inner life without it being selfish? Is there a way to move the church from predominately consumers focused on self to committed followers who are predominately serving others? I think there is, and it begins with how we define what we call the gospel.

This morning in worship: are we fooling ourselves? Are we about seeing how much of our life we can control and have comfort about, still sowing and reaping a look of submission before men, and all the while really and truly edging out God's call to the whole of life being His?

G. Mark Sumpter

No comments:

One Potato, Two Potato