"There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God." --Psalm 46:4

My Photo
Serving God with His people at Faith OPC has been a great joy and blessing. When I grow up, I want to umpire Little League Baseball. I will revel on that day when I can say to a 10-year-old boy after four pitched balls, "Take a walk in the sunshine." My wife of 30+ years, Peggy, consistently demonstrates the love of Christ and remains my very best friend. Our six children, our four lovely, sweetie-pie daughters-in-law, and our four grandchildren serve as resident theologians.

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Cheesy Recessional After Worship---Not


I had to warm up to this

A
fter the benediction at the end of worship, our elders have a liturgical recessional. We walk the center aisle to the back of the worship assembly, and proceed to stand at the back to greet the saints as they leave the service of worship.

I have been in multiple conversations over the years with folks about this recessional--sometimes with fellow elders, sometimes with the members of the church.


Why? Why do you men walk out of the service going down the aisle through the congregation?

One of our elders has repeatedly said: We're leading the congregation out from the presence of God in His worship, so that the congregation is led forth into His service in the world.

Well spoken, and it's very practical contributing to our symbolism regarding the called-together worshiping soldiers and saints of God's people.


God is our fore guard and our rear guard. Our elders lead at the beginning and at the ending of worship.


It's taken me a long time to warm up to his explanation. But I'm there.


G. Mark Sumpter

1 comment:

Jesse said...

How about one at the beginning? Do they lead into the service too?

One Potato, Two Potato