"There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God." --Psalm 46:4

My Photo
Serving God with His people at Faith OPC has been a great joy and blessing. When I grow up, I want to umpire Little League Baseball. I will revel on that day when I can say to a 10-year-old boy after four pitched balls, "Take a walk in the sunshine." My wife of 30+ years, Peggy, consistently demonstrates the love of Christ and remains my very best friend. Our six children, our four lovely, sweetie-pie daughters-in-law, and our four grandchildren serve as resident theologians.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Something's Missing in Baucham's Hot Book

Voddie Baucham Jr. provides a great guide for parents and families on courtship, but...

I have read most of the 2009 publication called What He Must Be...if he wants to marry my daughter...

On page 17, brother Baucham writes,

“I believe God has spoken rather decisively in his Word about what our daughters should look for [in a man for eligibility for marriage]. Moreover, I believe there are some non-negotiables that our daughters must be looking for. There are some things a man simply must be before he is qualified to assume the role of a Christian husband. For instance, he must be a Christian (2 Corinthians 6:14); he must be committed to biblical headship (Ephesians 5:23ff.); he must welcome children (Psalm 127:3-5); he must be a suitable priest (Joshua 24:15), prophet (Ephesians 6:4), protector (Nehemiah 4:13-14), and provider (1 Timothy 5:8; Titus 2:5). A man who does not possess---or at least show strong signs of---these and other basic characteristics does not meet the basic job description laid down for husbands in the Bible. Moreover, as a father, it is my responsibility to teach my daughter what these requirements are, encourage her not to settle for less, and walk with her through the process of evaluating potential suitors.”

I like the list. Essentially, Baucham's book elaborates on this list. As I say, I've read well into the 75% range of this book, I am not quite finished with it. Our family, too, has plowed in bits and pieces of this fine book.

But it fails at one super key point. The man that Baucham wants for his daughter manifestly needs---based squarely on the Bible---to be a submissive man.

I am ready to be corrected by his readers. Does Voddie explicate the vital importance of a man to be under authority, to be under elders? I cannot find anywhere in the book where the man needs to be a professing believer under the care of local elders.

Go out and buy five copies of the book. Give them away. It's an excellent work, but it's bad pizza on the topic of men being under authority. The book needs revision, re-working on the subject matter of church membership.

You show me a man who's growing in his ability to follow in the steps of godly elders, with attitudes and actions showing that he's ready to be corrected with their meek and faithful counsel--and then actually heed it, and I will show you a man who's a potential candidate for my daughter.

The first vow a man needs to make before God and witnesses is the vow to be under the care, counsel and discipline of an eldership. That's numero uno.

When he shows that he can follow, then he's growing as a man ready to lead.

G. Mark Sumpter

2 comments:

Jesse said...

What should be done with the bad pizza? Cut out? Skipped? Grab a good beer?

Thanks Dad,
Jesse

Michael Brace said...

I finished the book about six months ago and found it to be well written.

You must be a follower before you can be a leader...well said Mark.

One Potato, Two Potato