"There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God." --Psalm 46:4

My Photo
Serving God with His people at Faith OPC has been a great joy and blessing. When I grow up, I want to umpire Little League Baseball. I will revel on that day when I can say to a 10-year-old boy after four pitched balls, "Take a walk in the sunshine." My wife of 30+ years, Peggy, consistently demonstrates the love of Christ and remains my very best friend. Our six children, our four lovely, sweetie-pie daughters-in-law, and our four grandchildren serve as resident theologians.

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Mike Yaconelli Speaking in the Early 1980s


Avoid the Homogeneity Tendencies in Youth Ministry

Yaconelli tells his listeners:

You need to take the young people on a water skiing trip; but you also need to take them to the local historical museum. Yeah, that's right.

You need to the take high school students water skiing, and you need to take them to the ballet. Yes, I said, ballet.

You say: Mike, you'll only get three kids to the ballet.

I say: That's right. The three kids that need your attention and care that you wouldn't otherwise minister to. Those three kids will show up.


Yaconelli goes on to say things like: Refuse to plan things only designed to reach the jocks and popular kids at church. The church and your thinking about the youth of the church needs to avoid homogeneity. We're not all the same. Homogeneity breeds a maintenance mentality. We do things because we do things; we reach students the way we've always done it.


Wise words on youth ministry in the local church.

G. Mark Sumpter


No comments:

One Potato, Two Potato