"There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God." --Psalm 46:4

My Photo
Serving God with His people at Faith OPC has been a great joy and blessing. When I grow up, I want to umpire Little League Baseball. I will revel on that day when I can say to a 10-year-old boy after four pitched balls, "Take a walk in the sunshine." My wife of 30+ years, Peggy, consistently demonstrates the love of Christ and remains my very best friend. Our six children, our four lovely, sweetie-pie daughters-in-law, and our four grandchildren serve as resident theologians.

Thursday, March 4, 2010

My Glasses Were Fogging Up


Read my first historical novel a few weeks back

I am not all that discerning about stories, after all, I've just now in my early 50s plowed through this first 513-pager. But let me cut to the chase quickly on one point. I wasn't ready for the steamy scenery in places. I think the grandfathers of Victor Books--the founders of the books division of Scripture Press over in Colorado Springs--are rolling 6 feet under. James Adair, God rest his soul, was the author of the old Scripture Press Power Papers that I used to use with 6th grade students up in Anchorage. Adair was one of the early men behind Victor Books. His Sunday School take-homes were great!


Anyway, when I read the Victor Books publication,
The Puritans, by Jack Cavanaugh, the first volume in the American Family Protrait series, at times I had to roll down the windows and grab some ice-cold lemonade. It was getting a little hot.

On page 58, we read of a gal ducking under a bar so that she can emerge up between a man's arms, and now being face to face...


Your crazy!Marshall said with a smile.

Crazy, she replied with a playful peck on his lips, when it comes to you.

Marshall released the bar and pulled Mary Sedgewick to him. Any resistance he once had was gone as he passionately embraced his lover, who also happened to be his professor's daughter and his partner in crime...


Whoa.

There's more in other places too.
The book was a fun story and kept my interest. I wasn't prepared for the parts that included cars parked at the beach, where people were watching the submarine races.

G. Mark Sumpter

No comments:

One Potato, Two Potato